Saturday 29 September 2018

Theatrical by Maggie Harcourt


Published: 28th June 2018
Publisher: Usborne
Pages: 442

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Hope dreams of working backstage in a theatre, and she’s determined to make it without the help of her famous costume designer mum. So when she lands an internship on a major production, she tells no one. But with a stroppy Hollywood star and his hot young understudy upstaging Hope’s focus, she’s soon struggling to keep her cool… and her secret.

Rating:  


With Unconventional being one of my favourite reads of last year, I was waiting for Theatrical with bated breath. Because I'm one of those classic bookish types with no control over their TBR, I'd had it on my shelf for far too long before actually picking it up and reading. But let me tell you, it was lovely.
Theatrical follows Hope who gets an internship backstage at a huge production, she's meeting and working with people whom she looks up to, and of course, also meets a super cute guy. Now I've said it before (funnily enough in my Unconventional review) but I'm not a big romance fan. I like plot over mushy stuff, but there's something truly warming and lovely about the way that Maggie Harcourt builds up a romance and the interactions between her characters that I cannot help but grin over how unbelievably cute it all is. Of course, it's not all realistic and it's a bit cringy in parts but I kind of like that some times so make of that what you will.

I've never been much of an actor, but I have been involved in small productions in my village etc. and I know somewhat the excitement and love/hate relationship that there is between all members of a cast and crew when it finally comes around to showtime. Maggie Harcourt captured that feeling so perfectly in Theatrical, which made this book feel very special.

If anything, I would have loved to see a little more of the backstory of Hope's friends, who they are and what they're like, especially her close friend Priya. But that's not because it's "missing" as such, but more that I just loved it and want to know more about everything! I really liked a lot of the characters and I think wanting to know them more is nothing but a good thing, in this case anyway!

Overall, Theatrical delivered the excellent storyline and adorable romance that I expected from Maggie Harcourt. I loved the nod to Unconventional (although it took me embarrassingly long to realise the link!) and cannot recommend it enough as a wonderful, easy to read, and all-round enjoyable YA book. No stress, just a little over the top and all good fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment