Saturday 24 February 2018

Love, Simon by Becky Albertalli

Rating:

Published: 30th January 2018
Publisher: Penguin
Pages: 303
Synopsis from Goodreads: Straight people should have to come out too. And the more awkward it is, the better. 
Simon Spier is sixteen and trying to work out who he is - and what he's looking for. 
But when one of his emails to the very distracting Blue falls into the wrong hands, things get all kinds of complicated.
Because, for Simon, falling for Blue is a big deal . . .

I received a copy of this book through my book club (Liverpool One Waterstones YA Book Club!) which has in no way impacted my thoughts! A big thanks to Penguin for sending us copies 😄


This has been on my TBR since it first came out in 2015 yet for some reason I need got around to it and honestly I was missing out! This book is fun and cute and all round good!

Love, Simon is about a guy called Simon (obvs) who is gay, he's communicating with the person, who he knows as Blue, who posted on their school Tumblr wanting to speak to someone else who's gay without either of them knowing their identities. The two form a close bond despite not knowing who either is in real life and before he knows it Simon has a big ass crush on the guy. Obviously this is complicated, especially when you add in a little black mail and some drama!

I loved this book because it's a great story about coming out and being accepted yet deals with all of the fears that one faces in this situation. Simon has a brilliant family and I love his sisters, the way they support each other whilst at the same time growing into different people and going through changes I think is brill. I feel like, although of course this book is all about Simon, we get to know a lot about his whole friend group and family too which makes the book really? I don't know, welcoming, somehow? I feel like you get in and feel a part of it!

Overall, Love Simon is a really fun, quick read which is so cute and beautiful that I was squealing at parts (and I'm a cynic, it is very rare that I squeal). It's refreshing to read a book about a gay character who has more plot and depth to him than just his sexuality, whilst still dealing with his problems around coming out and being accepted. I also loved the way that Simon is presented as like, a teen guy, he's not just "a cute gay kid".

Basically I loved it, it's only not getting five bees because I wished I could get to know how things work out further down the line but then I believe there may be more on it's way soon anyway so... 💁


Have you read Love, Simon? Did you love it as much as I did? Let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment