Monday 19 February 2018

Mental Health Mondays #19 : Being taken seriously

If you've been following my posts for a while you'll be aware that I've had a bit of an up and down journey with the mental health services. I've been treated well and badly and then slightly better and then worse again which unsurprisingly has left me somewhat sceptical. For this reason and the recent changes in my situation I wanted to take time this week to let you all know that I'm finally being treated well and it feels very strange but very good!

Within the last month or so I finally got a disability support plan for my degree and, much to my surprise, they didn't tell me I was making a fuss over nothing but actually suggested numerous options which may be of help to me. As a result of this I have finally got support in my department at uni should I have issues, particularly with reaching deadlines, and if I need any assistance!


Furthermore, the disability support team suggested that I should apply for disabled students allowance as I may be able to get some equipment to help me. I did so, but I was still very much in doubt that any good would come of it. Last Friday I had an assessment and, once gain to my surprise, they didn't tell me I was making it up but suggested various things which I could get funded for me to help me out!!

At the moment it all seems a bit surreal, that after being relatively poorly treated on a semi-regular basis for years, things are finally looking up and people are actually treating me with respect? But I realise that this is how it should be for everyone.

My reasons behind this post are just to encourage and uplift those of you who maybe are feeling beaten by the system. I appreciate that I have been incredibly fortunate with the treatment that I've received in the past few weeks, but I want to say that all of the perseverance it took to be at this stage  feels really good!

I know how difficult it is to not be listened to and I know that this is easier said than done but I really urge you to keep going back if you aren't happy with the answers you get, please, find someone else and go again, keep looking until you find people who are respectful because it is so worth it when it finally gets to that point.

Thanks for reading, I hope this post is encouraging to you! As always, never hesitate to contact me with post ideas and comments, any questions you have you're welcome to leave here in my Question Box!

No comments:

Post a Comment