Saturday 17 February 2018

Sar vs TBR Episode I

Okay so it has previously become apparent that monthly TBR features just don't work for me because I enjoy writing them but then never read any of the books that I put on them so instead I'm introducing a new version of the same thing where I highlight a few of the books that have been gathering dust on my shelves in the past *coughs* 5+ years that I actually want to read this year and hopefully make myself excited to read them!

For now I'm going to pick five and then maybe I'll do another post once I've made some progress:

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Sixteen-year-old Starr lives in two worlds: the poor neighbourhood where she was born and raised and her posh high school in the suburbs. The uneasy balance between them is shattered when Starr is the only witness to the fatal shooting of her unarmed best friend, Khalil, by a police officer. Now what Starr says could destroy her community. It could also get her killed.

Honestly, why is haven't I read this yet? I know I need to!!

The Return of the King by J.R.R Tolkien
The armies of the Dark Lord are massing as his evil shadow spreads even wider. Men, Dwarves, Elves and Ents unite forces to do battle against the Dark. Meanwhile, Frodo and Sam struggle further into Mordor in their heroic quest to destroy the One Ring.

It's been a long time since I read the first two, I've never seen the films because I want to read them first and I just really think it's time I did so!

Dracula by Bram Stoker
Jonathan Harker is travelling to Castle Dracula to see the Transylvanian noble, Count Dracula. He is begged by locals not to go there, because on the eve of St George's Day, when the clock strikes midnight, all the evil things in the world will come full sway. But business must be done, so Jonathan makes his way to the Castle - and then his nightmare begins. His beloved wife Mina and other lost souls have fallen under the Count's horrifying spell. Dracula must be destroyed . . .

I started this once when I was about 14 and got bloody terrified so I stopped but I really want to read it!!

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
In a land ruled by a murderous boy-king, each dawn brings heartache to a new family. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, is a monster. Each night he takes a new bride only to have a silk cord wrapped around her throat come morning. When sixteen-year-old Shahrzad's dearest friend falls victim to Khalid, Shahrzad vows vengeance and volunteers to be his next bride. Shahrzad is determined not only to stay alive, but to end the caliph's reign of terror once and for all.

This has been recommended to me by so many people so I really should read it!

None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio
A groundbreaking story about a teenage girl who discovers she was born intersex... and what happens when her secret is revealed to the entire school. Incredibly compelling and sensitively told, None of the Above is a thought-provoking novel that explores what it means to be a boy, a girl, or something in between

I bought this in the summer when I found it in Foyles and I was so excited because I'd wanted it for ages but never opened it because I am indeed the worst...

Cool, so here are some books I'm planning to read this year, hopefully sooner rather than later! Also all these synopses are taken from Goodreads :)


No comments:

Post a Comment